- The 2023 Africa Tech Festival Awards took place in Cape Town on Wednesday.
- 10 winners including companies, individuals and initiatives were crowned at the gala event.
- The awards featured a new Creative Visionary Award for the first time.
This week arguably one of the biggest events on the South African technology calendar, AfricaCom/Africa Tech Festival took place in Cape Town.
As part of the festivities, Africa Tech Festival hosted the 2023 awards at a gala event honouring innovators, companies, and initiatives that have demonstrated excellence over the year.
“This year, more than ever, the standard of innovation and commitment to improving the lives of Africans and building an inclusive ecosystem for sovereign and cross-continental sustainability, has been impressive,” senior director of events at Connecting Africa | Informa Tech, James Williams said of the awards.
The winners of the awards were crowned on Wednesday night and the full list of victors follows below:
- Connectivity For All Award – Avanti Communications
- Innovation for Impact Award – MTN Uganda
- CXO of the Year Award – Ahmed Yusef, CEO, Hormuud Telecom
- Changing Lives Award – Vodacom Foundation DRC
- Female Innovator of the Year Award – Néné Maïga, CEO, Orange Botswana
- Sustainability Champion of the Year Award – MTN South Africa and Huawei
- Fintech Innovation of the Year Award – Mukuru
- Start-Up of the Year Award – Botlhale AI Solutions
- HealthTech Innovation of the Year Award – HealthX Africa
- New Award: Creative Visionary Award – Khutso Theledi
“These awards showcase the dynamic and entrepreneurial spirit that defines Africa’s tech ecosystem and the excellence and acumen of the individuals and organisations driving digital disruption. Congratulations to all our winners, the nominees and to everyone involved,” said Williams.
Award season at AfricaCom/Africa Tech Festival continues this evening with the AfricaIgnite Pitch Competition where the winner will be selected to battle it out for a shot at $1 million in the Pegasus Start-Up World Cup.
The 10 startups competing in the competition are:
- Tausi App
- Delta Scan
- Oneway Connect
- Ukwenza VR
- Hippocampus Education
- Kyanda Africa