Another day, another doodle? This one’s a bit different – today is International Women’s Day and Google has a remarkable video doodle which pays homage to women everywhere. Not only does it feature prominent global personalities like Mary Kom, Malala Yousafzai and Asha Bhonsle, you’ll be able to spot the a few inspirational South African women in this year’s doodle:
- Zahira Asmal, the founder of Design South Africa
- Refiloe Khaoli, a well-known copyrighter
- Ndileka Xameni, runs the Siyaphambili Orphan Village
- Zakeeya Patel, actress, dancer and winner of South Africa’s Strictly Come Dancing 2013
- Tarryn Tomlinson, inspiring quadriplegic working with disadvantaged youth
“Women have historically been underrepresented in almost all fields: science, school curricula, business, politics — and, sadly, doodles,” said Google’s Liat Ben-Rafael. “In addition to our continued effort for doodle diversity and inclusion, this International Women’s Day doodle features a host of over a 100 inspiring women from around the world.”
Not only is this doodle truly uplifting to watch, it connect’s women worldwide, giving everyone a reason to celebrate the economic, political and social achievements made by and for women across the globe.
The doodle will be displayed on Google’s home page until the 9th of March. Click here to see it in action.