Looking for something to capture a distant subject with crystal clarity? Nikon South Africa has released the AF-S NIKKOR 400mm MM f/2.8E FL ED VR – a super-telephoto, fixed focal length (prime) lens.
With a focal length of 400mm you will be able to bring far-away objects into close view for setting up the perfect shot. Grant Norton, Head of Sales for Nikon in South Africa, explained in a press statement that the lens provides excellent autofocus accuracy.
“The new AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8E super-telephoto lens brings together innovative optics with precise autofocus accuracy to deliver superb images in a lighter package.”
Norton went on to say that the new lens can be paired with a redesigned AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III.
“The fast super-telephoto lens of only 3800g in weight, introduces fluorite elements in its design to achieve exceptional optical performance. This makes it ideal for tracking fast-moving subjects such as those in sports or wildlife photography. Paired with the redesigned AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III, photographers can look forward to capturing images of the highest standards.”
The super-telephoto lens makes use of a combination of different elements, such as fluorite, ED and a Nano Crystal Coat, ensuring that the lens performs at its peak. The barrel of the lens is fitted with magnesium alloy to make it lighter, and to transition smoothly between horizontal and vertical shooting, the tripod collar ring comprises of bearings.
According to Nikon, “the super-telephoto lens is also equipped with an electro-magnetic aperture mechanism that contributes to better auto-exposure stability with high-speed continuous shooting, and a vibration reduction (VR) function that offers compensation for camera shake equivalent to a 4.0-stop increase in shutter speed.”
The lens’ primary features include:
- A super-telephoto fixed focal length (prime) lens with a focal length of 400mm and a maximum aperture of f/2.8 compatible with Nikon full-frame DSLR cameras
- Superior optical performance from a new optical design with which fluorite lens elements, ED lens elements, and Nano Crystal Coat
- Lighter weight from the adoption of fluorite lens elements and components made of magnesium alloy
- Fitted with a tripod collar ring that utilises bearings
- Equipped with an electro-magnetic aperture mechanism for more stable auto-exposure with high-speed continuous shooting
- Equipped with a vibration reduction (VR) function for camera shake compensation equivalent to a 4.0-stop increase in shutter speed
- Provided with Sport vibration reduction mode
- Adoption of meniscus protective glass with a fluorine coat, produced using a process exclusive to Nikon for greater durability and superior resistance to water and oils, for the extreme front lens element.
[Source: Nikon, image: supplied]