Booked your tickets for TEDxJohannesburg yet? You’ve got just under two months to do it and if the partial speaker list that Thati and Kelo released today is anything to go by, better to get your seats saved fast.
The theme of this year’s event is “We the people”, and it’s billed as a celebration of 20 years of democracy in South Africa with a wide range of speakers from the country’s past and present.
Perhaps the best known on the list will be former DA leader Tony Leon, but on the other side of the political fence there’s former Robben Island prisoner and ANC stalwart turned documentary film maker Sipho Singiswa.
Representing tech past, present and future is the inimitable Barry Dwolatzky, founder of the Tshimologong Precinct in Braamfontein (among many other things), as well as 3D printing pioneer Michaela Janse van Vuuren. From comic books and games there’s graphic novel authors Daniel Browde and Joshua Ryba – who created the vampires-in-Joburg tale Rebirth – and Broforce creator Evan Greenwood.
The full list of speakers confirmed so far is below. The full event takes place on 21st August at The Forum in Bryanston, and you can book tickets here. Watch this space for full details of the talks and new speaker announcements.
- JAKKIE CILLIERS African futures thinker
- ANDRÉ VERMEULEN Brain-based learning and development expert
- JUSTIN KENNEDY Behavioural psychologist
- RALPH MATHEKGA Researcher, political analyst
- TONY LEON Former leader of the opposition, former SA Ambassador to Argentina
- MARIA PHALIME Author of ‘Postmortem, the Doctor Who Walked Away’
- INGRID MARTENS Creator of the award-winning documentary ‘Africa Shafted’
- SIPHO SINGISWA Social justice activist, co-producer of the ‘Marikana Files’ series
- NATHALIE MAT Avid cook, clinical dietician
- JASPER GROSSKURTH Author of the book ‘Futures of Technology in Africa’
- BARRY DWOLATZKY Technology hub pioneer
- MICHAELLA JANSE van VUUREN 3D printing sculpturist
- MARIANNE FASSLER Iconic South African fashion designer
- DANIEL BROWDE AND JOSHUA RYBA– Creators of the graphic novel ‘Rebirth’
- EVAN GREENWOOD Director of the globally acclaimed video game ‘Broforce’