PlayStation is winning the digital sales war

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

It’s not often we get a look into sales figures for games, but every once in a while someone comes along with actual numbers – in this case, research firm SuperData – and it’s always fascinating to see who’s doing what. It also shows who’s earning the majority of the digital sales pie when it comes to the top 10 games, and what that majority is.

For January, the clear winner was the PlayStation which ate up 63% of the total worldwide digital revenues generated by the top 10 console titles according to SuperData, leaving the Xbox with just 37%.

SuperData’s report on January’s digital sales, as reported by PlayStation Lifestyle, also shows that Grand Theft Auto V is still on top, making over 30 million dollars for Rockstar and Take Two, followed by the latest Call of Duty which raked in $23.5 million for Activision-Blizzard. The figures quoted reflect digital sales and DLC purchases, apparently.

Dying Light, which came out at the end of January overseas managed an impressive $12 million, which is a fantastic start and a bit of motivation for the bean-counters to greenlight another Dying Light or some additional DLC. I could totally go for some more zombie-bashing parkour goodness.

To my surprise 2012’s Black Ops II and 2013’s Ghosts, the last two Call of Duties before Advanced Warfare, are still raking in a lot of cash at $9.2m and $3.5m respectively, despite being quite old by gaming standards.

And the #1 source of digital revenue? Sony’s PlayStation 4. Clearly, Sony’s digital strategy is paying off.

[Source – PlayStation Lifestyle, Image – SuperData]

Deon du Plessis

Deon du Plessis

Deon got his first taste of PC gaming at the tender age of 11 when his father bought an 8088 XT, ostensibly to "help him with his homework". Instead, it introduced him to Leisure Suit Larry, King Graham, Sonny Bonds and many more, and Deon has been a PC gamer and hardware enthusiast ever since. He landed his first professional writing gig in 2006 at a prestigious local PC magazine, a very happy happenstance as he got to write for a living about things he loves - tech, PCs, gaming, and everything in between. He's been writing about it all ever since, and loves every minute of it.