The Project Isizwe free public WiFi initiative walked away with two accolades at the 2015 AfricaCom conference awards at the Cape Town International Conference Centre yesterday.
Project Isizwe received two nods for its work in the City of Tshwane, namely the Best Connectivity Solution for Africa for the city’s Free WiFi Project, as well as the Best App for Africa award for the WiFi Voice Mobile App, which allows residents to make free calls to other users on the network and to the City of Tshwane Customer Care call centre.
“This is indeed a great achievement for the team,” incoming Project Isizwe CEO Zahir Khan said in a statement.
“Project Isizwe is committed to bridging the digital divide through Free WiFi, and winning the ‘Best Connectivity Solution for Africa’ shows that the continent is ready for a connected Africa. Following through with the ‘Best App for Africa’ is just one way that the Free WiFi model starts to affect change for the benefit of our African people. A digital nation and continent will ensure Africa’s position as the continent with the most opportunity,” he added.
The other winners in the competition’s various categories were:
- Best Network Improvement – Huawei for Lampsite Solution in Kenya
- Excellence in Customer Experience Management – FNB for FNB Connect
- Breakthrough LTE Development – Huawei for eLTE Solution for Kenya
- Best Cost Efficiency Solution for Africa – PCCW Global
- VSAT Innovation for Africa – Vodacom DRC for Rural Coverage System
- Best Marketing Campaign – Unitel for Kisom
- Best Mobile Money Service – Ericsson for Wallet Platform
- Best Device for Africa – Orange for Orange Klif
- Most Innovative Service – FNB for FNB Connect
- Best Pan African Initiative – Trace TV and Music for Trace Music Star
- CEO fof the Year – Mrs Roti Mootman, Millicom Ghana Limited
- Changing Lives Awards – Liquid Telecom – Office of the President (Kenya), Liquid Telecom for free WiFi in Nakuru County