Open to all South African game devs, participants can enter into four different categories in an effort to win R15 000 worth of cash prizes. There’s also a spot at the Electronics & Gaming Expo (EGE) and a trip to A MAZE. / Johannesburg up for grabs.
While the contest is only open to SA who are over the age of 18, interested parties can join in from anywhere in the world. The developers are also opening up their offices for contestants to work from, but if you’d like to make use of that kind offer you’ll need to let them know via their Facebook page, which is listed below.
The jam will last 48 hours, but there is also an extended session lasting 72 hours for those games that need more work. This must be noted in your submission, and the extra time used will be factored into the judging.
SA Game Jam 2016 details:
- Theme announced, game jam begins: 5 PM, Friday 8th of July, 2016
- Game jam ends: 5 PM, Sunday the 10th July, 2016
- Extension: 5 PM, Monday, 11th July 2016
- Student | Studying full time and have a student card
- Hobbyist | Don’t make games for a living
- Diversity | Not a straight, white male. Send a personal message to Free Lives when you submit your game if you’d like to compete in this category
- Overall | Open to all
- Student, Hobbyist and Diversity category winners will each receive R2 000
- Best Art will win R2 000
- Best audio will win R2 000
- Overall Winner gets R5 000 and a spot at EGE as part of the IESA stand to show their game
- An additional prize of a trip to A MAZE. / Johannesburg 2016 to be awarded at the judges’ discretion. This includes a flight to Johannesburg from anywhere in SA and an entry ticket to A MAZE. It excludes accommodation.
- Start a thread on the Make Games SA site titled “[SA Game Jam 2016] NameOfYourGame” in Make Games SA’s “Online Competitions and Jams” category and post your design ideas and game releases there.
- As you release files, edit your first post to point to the most recent versions available.
- Include the following information:
- The name of the jam (“SA Game Jam 2016” for this contest)
- The project’s name
- Level of experience (Professional, Hobbyist or Student)
- If the project is a 48 or 72 hour entry
- Make Games SA contest page (contains the full rules)
- Make Games SA forum rules (which you’ll need to know to submit an entry)
- Official Facebook page
We’ll have more on this local jam as it happens, so keep checking games.htxt for more.