With the holiday season now over and 2020 starting in earnest, Showmax has decided to return to 2019 by looking back at what South Africans watched when they had more free time to do so.
One of the biggest numbers to come from this us in the headline, with locals catching up on a lot of content over the holidays.
We’ve combed through the rest of the stats provided to us recently and have presented it in a neat list below:
- Peak viewing activity day: 29th December
- Peak viewing activity time: 18:00
- Most watched local genre: reality
- Most watched genres overall: comedy, medical drama and crime drama
- Most watched sport: Wolves versus Manchester City on 27th December
- Average episodes watched for most popular series: 30
- Highest watch count for a single user: 200 episodes of the same show
Viewing habits aside, what were people actually watching? Showmax has provided the two lists below for the most popular series both from outside the country and in it.
It’s worth noting here that the list has been provided in a random order, and each show’s position on the list does not correlate with anything.
10 most-streamed international series on Showmax
- HBO’s Euphoria
- HBO’s Game of Thrones
- HBO’s Chernobyl
- HBO’s Big Little Lies
- The Girlfriend Experience
- The Handmaid’s Tale
10 most-streamed South African series on Showmax
- The Real Housewives of Johannesburg
- Being Bonang
- The River
- The Queen
- Die Spreeus
- Die Byl
- The Girl From St Agnes
- The Bachelor SA
- Boer Soek ‘n Vrou