The most popular local content on Showmax and other interesting factoids

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Later this year Showmax will celebrate five years of streaming for South Africans and in that time the service has grown in leaps and bounds.

While Showmax now offers streaming in several countries, it was born in South Africa and it has offered up some interesting information regarding local content.

The highlight of this news is that Somizi & Mohale: The Union received the most views ever on its first day of streaming on Showmax. That makes the show the most popular on Showmax ahead of The Girl from St. Agnes and other international titles.

“We expected Somhale to do well but the response was even bigger than we’d hoped, and it goes to show how our shift to local content is paying dividends. In fact, the views of local content are up more than 40% in less than a year,” says chief executive officer of the Connected Video division of MultiChoice, Niclas Ekdahl.

The most popular local titles on Showmax are:

  • Black Tax
  • Binnelanders
  • Getroud Met Rugby
  • Lockdown
  • Kwa Mam’Mkhize
  • The Queen
  • The Real Housewives of Johannesburg
  • The River
  • Somizi and Mohale: The Union
  • Suidooster
  • Trackers

Showmax has also said that it now streams 200 petabytes of data per year. Much of that streaming is coming from mobile devices with the service reporting that 45 percent of viewing is happening on a smartphone or tablet. Smart TVs and media players account for 35 percent of streams while streaming from the web accounts for 20 percent of viewing.

Android is the most popular operating system with 80 percent of mobile streams coming from those devices while iOS accounts for the remaining 20 percent.

“The key to supplying local content is realising it’s a marathon. Bringing on new shows and new episodes day in, day out, week in, week out is what our customers are looking for. And thanks to the decades of local content commissioning and production expertise sitting in this company, that’s exactly what we’ll be doing,” says Ekdahl.

We’re hoping to see some more quality content from Showmax this year especially with these gargantuan numbers.

Brendyn Lotz

Brendyn Lotz

Brendyn Lotz writes news, reviews, and opinion pieces for Hypertext. His interests include SMEs, innovation on the African continent, cybersecurity, blockchain, games, geek culture and YouTube.