While many social media platforms and messaging apps have abandoned gifs as profile pictures, Telegram has just rolled out a new update that allows you to set a short video as your profile.
This video will be stationary most of the time until someone taps on your profile, so it won’t be as distracting as some of the other implementations of this idea.
If you’d like to do this, make sure you have the latest version of the app installed, and then follow these steps:
- Tap the three lines (options) in the top left corner.
- Tap on your existing profile picture or default picture.
- Select “set profile photo” if none exists or the camera button in the bottom right.
- Choose the video from your camera roll or shoot a new one.
- Trim down the video to the appropriate length and make sure the main subject fits into the circular frame.
- Here you can also apply filters, flip the video, crop and make other adjustments.
- Click on the
check mark to end the editing process.
- Give the video a few seconds to upload.
While profile videos are the most interesting new addition to us Telegram has a slew of additional options in the latest update.
The full changelog can be found here, but the highlights include sharing of files up to two gigabytes from the previous limit of 1.5, access to statistics for large groups, thumbnails for chat media and more.
You can see a quick video of the new features, including the profile videos, embedded below. If your app looks different to the one in the video, especially if you’re on Android instead of iOS, don’t worry as they function mostly the same.