The Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries has announced that it is offering full time South Africa students the opportunity for bursaries to study in the 2021 academic year.
There are, however, some caveats. In line with the departments purview only the following fields of studies are being considered to receive bursaries:
- Chemicals and Waste Management (Ref: Cwm/01/2021)
- Regulatory Compliance and Sector Monitoring (Ref:
- Climate Change, Air Quality and Sustainable Development
- Biodiversity and Conservation (Ref: B&C/01/2021)
- Environmental Programmes (Ref: Ep/01/2021)
- Oceans and Coast (Ref: Oc/01/2021)
- Fisheries (Ref: Fi/01/2021)
- Forestry (Ref: Fo /01/2021)
If you’re a student, but not sure if your degree or diploma falls into those fields of studies, the full list of supported qualifications can be found in this PDF.
Other conditions to qualify include the fact that the applying student is not employed, and the maximum amount of the bursary is R40 000. Students with a disability, and those who are previously disadvantaged will receive consideration.
These bursaries are intended for students who have completed their undergraduate qualification and are now registered for postgraduate studies. That being said first year students who provide “strongly motivated applications” may also get in.
Said bursary application form is available from the department website, and must be accompanied by the following documents:
• Motivation as to why the bursary should be awarded to you
• Certified copies of qualifications and recent academic records
• Certified copies of Identity Document (Applicant and both parents or guardian)
• Acceptance letter from first year students
• Proof of registration (if already enrolled with the institution of higher learning)
• Proof of parents or guardian’s income
• Proof if parents are deceased
• Affidavit if parents are not employed
Unfortunately applications and the associated documents cannot be emailed, or even faxed in. Instead they need to be hard copies delivered to this address:
Department of Environment Forestry and Fisheries
Private Bag X447
Attention: Learning and Development (Bursary Section)
The closing date for applications is 20th November 2020. Students who do not receive a reply from the department by the end of January 2021 should note that their application has not been successful.