In April we got the chance to take the new Land Rover Defender 110 for a weekend road trip. The vehicle impressed immensely, serving up luxury, technology and power in equal measures. It is why we were intrigued to see how the shorter wheelbase Defender 90 would perform, especially as this is the orientation that is most popular on our roads.
The wait to see what it is like will not be long now, with Land Rover South Africa set to officially launch the new Defender 90 later this month. As we anxiously await that to happen, the company has detailed the pricing for the range, as well as highlighting some of the unique engine options that local Defender enthusiasts may be interested in.
For the South African launch, the Defender 90 lineup includes four engine options comprising two diesels and two petrols.
A 2.0-litre D240 turbo diesel yields 177kW and 430Nm, making it capable of doing 0-100km/h in 9 seconds with a top speed of 188km/h, while the 2.0-litre P300 turbo petrol has 221kW of power and 400Nm of torque to achieve 0-100km/h in 7.1 seconds and a maximum speed of 191km/h.
The more powerful 3.0-litre straight six-cylinder options include a P400 petrol flavour featuring Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle technology with outputs of 294kW and 550Nm. There’s also a D300 diesel variant with 221kW and 650Nm. These two models accelerate from 0-100km/h in 6 and 6.7 seconds respectively, with top speeds of 191km/h for both.
While speed is not something one associates with the Defender brand, these newly minted versions are built to compete with some of the most luxurious and powerful SUVs around, as we found out with the P400S 110 we drove in April.
The recommended pricing for the entire launch lineup, sans the optional extras, follows below:
- Defender 90 D240 S – R1 095 600
- Defender 90 D300 S – R1 186 800
- Defender 90 P300 S – R1 095 600
- Defender 90 P400 S – R1 214 200
- Defender 90 D240 X-Dynamic SE – R1 215 500
- Defender 90 D300 X-Dynamic SE – R1 297 000
- Defender 90 P300 X-Dynamic SE R1 215 500
- Defender 90 P400 X-Dynamic SE – R1 338 600
- Defender 90 D240 X-Dynamic HSE – R1 284 400
- Defender 90 D300 X-Dynamic HSE – R1 365 900
- Defender 90 P300 X-Dynamic HSE – R1 284 400
- Defender 90 P400 X-Dynamic HSE – R1 407 500
- Defender 90 D240 First Edition – R1 223 800 (only available in first year of launch)
- Defender 90 P400 First Edition – R1 341 700 (only available in first year of launch)
- Defender 90 D300 X – R1 542 100
- Defender 90 P400 X – R1 575 000.