The South African government – through its International Scholarships platform – has today pointed local students towards the Italian Government Scholarship Program for studies overseas, specifically in Italy.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MAECI) offers grants in favor of foreign citizens and Italian citizens living abroad (IRE)* for the academic year 2022-23 in order to foster international cooperation in cultural, scientific and technological fields, to promote Italian language and culture and to support Italy’s economic system in the world (according to Law 288/55 and its subsequent changes and additions),” reads the description of the initiative.
That asterisk points to a list of countries that are included in the programme. Aside from South Africa, students in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ethiopia, Lebanon, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela are welcome to apply. This is just for the specific IRE grants, however, as a much larger range of countries is included for other funding, as outlined in this PDF.
Said applications are now open and will close on 9th June 2022. Eligible students must have a recognised qualification (outlined here), a level of language proficiency depending on their chosen course of study and there’s an age limit also attached to the type of studies.
Several different types of studies, degrees and research are eligible for a scholarship:
- “Master’s Degree | Period of six or nine months | Applicants must be under 28
- Courses of Higher Education in Arts, Music and Dance (AFAM) | Period of six or nine months
- PhD program | Period of six or nine months | Applicants must be under 30
- Research projects under academic supervision | Period of six or nine months | Applicants must be under 40
- Italian language and culture advanced courses | Period of three months | Applicants must be under 28.”
Applicants should read in detail the call for applications page here and keep the aforementioned 9th June deadline in mind.