YouTube has issued a statement to its community regarding a video posted to the platform by vlogger Logan Paul.
The vlogger posted a video on 31st December 2017 in which he and his entourage visiting the infamous Aokigahara Forest in Japan. The video saw the troupe crossing paths with a cadaver which they then proceeded to film. Paul even went so far as to include the body in the video’s thumbnail.
Now almost a week later YouTube has responded to the controversy in its official capacity in a series of tweets.
An open letter to our community:
Many of you have been frustrated with our lack of communication recently. You’re right to be. You deserve to know what's going on.
— YouTube (@YouTube) January 9, 2018
“Many of you have been frustrated with our lack of communication recently. You’re right to be. You deserve to know what’s going on,” said YouTube.
“Suicide is not a joke, nor should it ever be a driving force for views. As Anna Akana put it perfectly: “That body was a person someone loved. You do not walk into a suicide forest with a camera and claim mental health awareness,” it added.
The platform went on to say that Paul’s channel violated YouTube’s community guidelines and it acted accordingly adding that “we are looking at further consequences”.
Said YouTube, “It’s taken us a long time to respond, but we’ve been listening to everything you’ve been saying. We know that the actions of one creator can affect the entire community, so we’ll have more to share soon on steps we’re taking to ensure a video like this is never circulated again.”
The offending video was removed from Paul’s channel but it has been re-uploaded several times by others.