The Trump Administration’s war against TikTok has claimed its first victim in chief executive officer Kevin Mayer.
Early on Thursday news broke that the CEO had resigned. The reason? Mayer doesn’t feel as if he is cut out for the job anymore.
“In recent weeks, as the political environment has sharply changed, I have done significant reflection on what the corporate structural changes will require, and what it means for the global role I signed up for,” Mayer said in an internal memo as reported by The Verge.
“Against this backdrop, and as we expect to reach a resolution very soon, it is with a heavy heart that I wanted to let you all know that I have decided to leave the company,” Mayer added.
The future of TikTok is an unknown at this stage despite several developments since President Donald Trump announced intentions to ban the app in the US.
That was until Trump insisted that a US company take control of TikTok, which Microsoft seemingly jumped at.
Last week Oracle threw its hat in the ring as well, a move that confused us quite a bit, though given the reach TikTok has, it’s a rather attractive acquisition.
In the latest development in this saga, TikTok has said it would sue Trump if it is banned in the US. The firm claims that due process was not followed as regards the executive order banning Chinese firms from doing business with US firms.
As for TikTok’s leadership, general manager Vanessa Pappas will take over as interim CEO.