When we hear the word “re-release” it usually has to do with an older game that the developer or publisher is carting out again to make money a second time, but in the case of Valve it’s for a Steam update.
The Steam client update released on 7th June has now been re-released with additional changes on 8th June / 9th June (depending on your time zone).
These additional fixes are as follows:
- Fixed bug preventing upload of game download statistics
- Fixed occasional crash on Steam startup
- Fixed bug causing some values in the server browser to show up as negative
- Fixed bug adding library folders on external drives in some cases
- Fixed bug preventing game launches on macOS 10.12
- Fixed intermittent crash in Dota 2 during game startup
- Fixed bug with chorded inputs bound to the ABXY buttons
- Fixed bug with square deadzones on joysticks where full deflection would result in mirrored output
Valve, being the usual black box of information that it is, has not stated why it has needed to take this re-release approach.
We can only assume that the fixes above were important enough to push out immediately instead of waiting for the next update cycle, or they were problems that needed addressing after the 7th June update.
Maybe as a testament to the stability of Steam the only fixed problem on these lists that we’ve experienced before is corruption of an install when our PC was shutdown without first pausing the process. We haven’t had this happen for a while now so hopefully the fix means it will never happen again.
The full patch notes for the original 7th June update can be found below.
- Added new game properties page to manage subscribed workshop items
- Fixed potential game install state corruption during Steam client shutdown
- Fixed Workshop item download loop in some cases
- Fixed erroneous creation of empty popup windows when a Steam Store link is opened through middle click from a Community page or vice versa
- Added an option to upload your last in-game screenshot through the paperclip menu in a chat window
- Fixed popup windows being created with wrong position and size on Windows when running on multiple monitors with different DPI settings
- Fixed background flickering in some games when Steam Overlay is visible
- Fixed some cases where modes bound in Action Set Layers would not work or improperly show up as empty
- Fixed issue with repeated events not firing properly for Trackpads bound as a Button Pad
- Added more legacy trigger settings to trigger modes in Steam Input API configurations
- Fixed an issue with binding joystick axis outputs to buttons
- Fixed regression in prompts to install SteamVR and appropriate drivers when installing new hardware
- Fixed issue that caused Steam to trigger Game Theater for certain overlay applications.