If you’re playing a standalone .exe of Cyberpunk 2077, or through GOG Galaxy, you may have found yourself wanting for performance metrics.
The game itself doesn’t have an FPS display or any other performance information. The GOG Galaxy overlay doesn’t seem to work and our old faithful in FPS monitoring, Fraps, doesn’t work either.
There’s a lot of software out there like MSI Afterburner which you can download and use, but you probably already have a programme installed on your PC in the form of Windows Game Bar.
The Game Bar and the Xbox integration in Windows is usually irritating but it saves the day here giving you the performance metrics you need without an additional download.
- Before starting the game open the Windows Game Bar. The default to do this is Windows key + G.
- In the bottom left corner there is a box called “Performance”. In this box click on “FPS”.
- If you’ve not used this function before a PC restart will be required.
- Start Cyberpunk 2077.
- When in the game bring up the Windows Game Bar.
- Your FPS will now be visible as well as usage for your GPU, CPU, RAM and VRAM, but this information will go away if you play the game and exit the Game Bar.
- To display this information while you play click on the small Pin icon in the Performance box.
- Optional: You can move the Performance box anywhere on the screen you like. To do this enter the Windows Game Bar again and click and drag the top part of the box.
Below is a screenshot of the Game Bar performance information displayed while inside the game. You can also see the poor performance we’ve been experiencing as well as Johnny Silverhand smoking a floating cigarette.
Poor performance and glitch aside we’ve found the best place to position the Game Bar is in the bottom left corner part way up. This will not block any important UI and, as long as you move it up a bit, the UI usually in this corner will be visible just below it.
We know that this isn’t anything new, but Cyberpunk 2077 really doesn’t play well with reporting software and this is likely the easiest way to go about things for most people.
If you play the game through Steam your life is even easier:
- Inside of Steam click on the “Steam” option in the top left corner and then “Settings”
- Click on “In-Game” in the top left menu, and set the “In-Game FPS Counter” option on.
- Choose which portion of the screen you’d like the FPS to show in.
- Once inside of Cyberpunk 2077 the FPS will display automatically.
If you didn’t buy Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam but still want to make use of this feature, you can add it to Steam:
- Open your Steam game library.
- In the bottom left corner click on “Add A Game”.
- Click on “Add a non-Steam game”.
- Locate the Cyberpunk 2077 .exe file on your PC and click on “Add selected programs”
- If you installed the game through GOG Galaxy the path of the Cyberpunk 2077 .exe should look something like this D:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64.
- Once added follow the steps above to activate FPS display in games, and run Cyberpunk 2077 through Steam.